St. Francis of Asissi doll


St. Francis of Asissi doll


Dolls for Democracy


Portrait doll of St. Francis of Asissi, Christian monk figure of white male, balding, mustache, wearing brown monk's robe w/
hood made of wool fabric, a cross (cruciform) is attached w/ fine
metal wire to his upper body front, a dove (bird) is in his handthere
is a string at his waist w/ 3 knots, tan leather sandles, tan
nylon hose for legs, brown felt pants. St. Francis is known for
establishing the Franciscan Order of the Catholic Church, and for
compassion to animals.
St. Francis of Assisi (1182-1226) was an Italian mystic and
preacher, who founded the Franciscans. He was held captive in
Perugia for over a year and while imprisoned, he suffered a severe
illness during which he resolved to alter his way of life. His father
disowned him for his new way of life and Francis discarded his
rich garments for a bishop's cloak and devoted the next three years
to the care of outcasts and lepers in the woods of Mount Subasio.
One day during Mass, he heard a call telling him to go out into the
world and, according to the text of Matthew 10:5-14, to possess
nothing, but to do good everywhere. Upon returning to Assisi that
same year, Francis began preaching and he gathered the 12
disciples who became the original brothers the First Order, with Francis as superior. When Francis returned from the Holy Land, he
found dissension in the ranks of the friars and resigned as superior,
spending the next few years in planning what became the Third
Order of Franciscans, the tertiaries. In September 1224, after 40
days of fasting, Francis was praying upon Monte Alverno when he
felt pain mingled with joy, and the marks of the crucifixion of
Christ, the stigmata, appeared on his body. Francis was carried
back to Assisi, where his remaining years were marked by physical
pain and almost total blindness. He was canonized in 1228. In
1980, Pope John Paul II proclaimed him the patron saint of
ecologists. He is also the patron saint of Italy.


Cecil (Ruth Bullard) Weeks


Independence, MO


1945 - 1965


restorer- Lisa Pepin